Philadelphia Youth Basketball is passionate about its goal to build a state-of-the-art, world-class, youth basketball and education center, and there are several reasons why Philadelphia and its young people and communities need a center. Here are three of the most powerful reasons why we believe a center is vital in our city:
ONE – Deep, Enduring, and Transformative Programs
The ultimate objective of youth development programming is to create transformative opportunities for young people to positively change the trajectories of their own lives. “Transformative” is a high claim that doesn’t happen often or easily. When transformational experiences occur, it requires an impactful program delivered by credible and capable leaders, coaches, and mentors, with a lot of intensity or dosage, as well as an extended programming over time, what we call duration. A center gives an organization the ability to have kids for a long period of number of hours per week across the entire year in its own space, but more importantly, the ability to control the climate and culture of the environment.
TWO – Safe Haven
The future PYB Youth Basketball and Education Center will be a safe haven for children to learn, play, and grow in a positive, nurturing, and violence-free, hate-free environment. It will become a second home for many young people in Philadelphia, a home that will be a beautiful and well-equipped space in which they know they are respected, valued, and held to high standards of excellence. Each and every child will know that they matter!
THREE – Unlike Any Other Space
There is not a place like this in Philadelphia, or any other city in the United States. Unique, however, to the City of Brotherly Love, the game of basketball is a powerful force in the lives of many Philadelphians and young people. Through the utilization of the game of basketball, PYB’s high-quality programming, being led by culturally credible and highly skilled coaches and academic mentors, will meet our boys and girls “where they are.” This center will be built to provide holistic opportunities for our student-athletes to grow their full potential as students, athletes, and positive leaders.
This is not an exhaustive list of meaningful reasons why a center is needed in Philadelphia. A PYB center would also serve as:
- The catalyst to a revitalization project of the Logan Triangle and neighborhood in North Philadelphia, which has been devastated over the past 30 years due to a sinkhole problem which resulted in 956 homes to be demolished and thousands of people to abandon the neighborhood;
- A diverse center for children and families to create authentic and enduring relationships;
- A platform for economic opportunity and workforce development;
- A place to improve the quality and caliber of coaching across youth basketball programs;
- An opportunity for the “royalty” of Philadelphia basketball to participate in building a facility and organization;
- A model that can be replicated nationally in other NBA-franchised cities.
Take the Tour!
Eric Worley is a staple in the Philadelphia Basketball Community and a vital member of the PYB Team. As a co-founder of the organization and the Director of Programming, Eric has an intense passion for the game and an innate awareness of the need in PYB programming...read more